The Shadow Network
Rebecca Chase "C"
Quote: “In the beginning they said there was light. Well, there ain’t much left of it now.” (Quoting “Beg Your Pardon” by Crass.)
Description: A rail-thin black woman with an easy smile, “C” has well-groomed dreadlocks and ornate tattoos, which are actually a stylized map of the old streetcar lines.
Her nimbus is a cool breeze wafting from her direction. If she casts vulgar magic, the breeze carries the stench of decay.
Dedicated Magical Tool: Silver Swiss-Army Knife
Real Name: Rebecca Chase
Order: Free Council
Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 3, Resolve 3
Physical Attributes: Strength 2, Dexterity 3, Stamina 2 (Enhanced to 5)
Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 3, Composure 2
Mental Skills: Investigation 2, Occult 3
Physical Skills: Athletics 3, Brawl 1, Stealth (Shadowing) 3, Survival (Urban) 4, Weaponry 1
Social Skills: Empathy 3, Expression (Public Speaking*) 4, Persuasion 3, Socialize 2, Streetwise 3, Subterfuge 1
Merits: Allies (Concilium) 4, Area of Expertise (Public Speaking), Contacts (Mages, Couriers) Direction Sense, Fleet of Foot 2, High Speech, Interdisciplinary Focus (Public Speaking), Status (Free Council) 3, Trained Observer 3
Gnosis: Gnosis 3
Base Paradox: 2 Dice
Spell Limit: 6/3
Spell Tolerance: 5/3
Arcana: Life 3, Mind 2, Spirit 3
Rotes: Life – Sense Life (•), Organic Resilience (••), Self-Healing (••), Honing the Form (•••); Mind – Sense Consciousness (•), First Impressions (••), Incognito Presence (••); Spirit – Exorcist Eye (•), Spirit Tongue (•), Gossamer Touch (••), Rouse Spirit (•••)
Mana/per turn: 11/2
Armor: 2 (“Organic Resilience,” Life ••)
Maintained Spells: 3 – Honing the Form (Life •••, Potency 5); Incognito Presence (Mind ••, Potency 10); Organic Resilience (Life ••, Potency 11)
- Swiss Army Knife 2 + 0L; -1 penalty to attacks; breaks on a critical failure.
- Brawl 3 + 0B
- Public Speaking rolls gain a +2 bonus to any skill due to Interdisciplinary Focus and Area of Expertise.
- Perception rolls have 8-Again due to Trained Observer •••.
- Observers suffer a -10 penalty to notice or remember "C"’s presence. Blatantly attention-grabbing actions break the effect for witnesses until the scene ends. Those with supernatural mental protection may contest, requiring successes greater than the spell’s potency to overcome.
- Whenever meeting someone for the first time, “C” casts Mind •• “First Impressions” (9 Dice, each success grants a +1 bonus to the first social-attribute based roll when meeting someone for the first time.)
- Honing the form has durations of 1 month, while Organic Resilience is extended to a 2-month duration, both using standard prolongation factors. If she finds herself in a situation that requires more strength or dexterity, she will dismiss and recast Honing the Form for a scene-by-scene bonus. At her earliest possible convenience she will recast the 1-month duration extended spell.
Background: Rebecca Chase was a mildly successful standup comedian whose intensity was likened to word artists like Bill Hicks or Henry Rollins. She Awoke unexpectedly on a public bus, experiencing her Awakening as one extended shamanic initiation along the long-destroyed electric-streetcar lines. Now, she studies the city as if they were a jungle made of cement and asphalt, finding power in the most unusual places. “A” is her on-again, off-again lover.
Storytelling Hints: “C” is the most social of the cabal, but she treats people much as an anthropologist would; she sees no distinction between humans and animals or nature and the city, so her observations strike many “civilized” people as strange, especially when she notes things like the mating habits of hominids at Starbucks.
She is well known and liked within the Concilium as well as the Free Council; her contacts are not merely local, but reach to nearby cities as well. She is the de facto representative of the Elect to the local Consilium and is more than willing to represent other cabals as well, especially if she feels their voices are not being heard by the Consilium.
“C” has the unnerving ability to hide herself in a crowd, and, from there, she possesses the equally unnerving skill to follow whomever she chooses. She is at her best working with “A,” who taught her counter-surveillance techniques. "C"’s trip into urban shamanism have made her a master at thriving in that style of environment. While she might have no connections to the black market, she certainly knows the places where the best food or items get dumped and can rattle off the addresses of virtually every shop (legit or otherwise) in the city. She’s willing to share this knowledge with other struggling cabals for a small price.