The Shadow Network
Mark Dornet "Brother Sariel"
Quote: “The fiery tongue of God will strike you down!”
Description: If Mark had not become a mage, he would have been a marine. Young and slight of build, he wears his hair in a military style and keeps what muscle mass there is in fine tone. His dark skin and lithe physique bring to mind images of a stalking panther. He wears modest clothes in dark colors, preferring turtle-necks and high-necked sweaters. Over all of this, he wears a crisp black long-coat, giving him the air of a menacing priest.
His nimbus is a bright golden aura, highlighted by a pair of glowing wings that spread out from behind him. When he casts vulgar magic, the wings grow ragged and the aura darkens to a dirty yellow.
Dedicated Magical Tool: A small ebony crucifix
Real Name: Mark Dornet
Order: Adamantine Arrow
Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 3, Resolve 4
Physical Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 3, Stamina 4
Social Attributes: Presence 2, Manipulation 3, Composure 3
Mental Skills: Crafts 1, Investigation 2, Medicine (First-Aid) 3, Occult (Christian) 2
Physical Skills: Athletics 3, Brawl 3, Firearms (Pistols*) 3, Stealth 2
Social Skills: Empathy 2, Expression 1, Intimidation (Interrogation) 3, Persuasion 1
Merits: Area of Expertise (Firearms: Pistols), Fast Reflexes 1, Hardy 2, High Speech, Iron Stamina 2, Iron Will
Base Paradox: 1 Dice
Spell Limit: 4/3
Spell Tolerance: 4/2
Arcana: Death 1, Life 3, Matter 3
Rotes: Life – Healer’s Trance (•), Body Control (••), Self-Healing (••), Healing Heart (•••); Matter – Unseen Aegis (••), Alter Integrity (•••), Repair Object (•••)
Mana/per turn: 11/2
Armor: 4/0 + 3 (Enhanced long-coat and “Unseen Aegis,” Matter ••)
Maintained Spells: 3 – Alter Integrity (Matter •••, Potency 9); Body Control (Life ••, Potency 5); Unseen Aegis (Matter ••, Potency 15)
- Glock .22 8 + 1L; 20/40/80
- Brawl 6 + 0B
- Iron Will: When resisting contested social actions, Sariel gains 8-Again. Further, if he spends Willpower resisting or contesting a social action, the bonus increases to his Resolve (4), rather than the normal willpower bonus.
- Iron Stamina •• reduces all wound penalties Sariel suffers by -2, and Hardy •• grants him a +2 bonus to resist unconsciousness, disease, poison, deprivation, and suffocation.
- “Self-Healing,” Life ••, allows Sariel to heal himself of Bashing or Lethal damage as a covert spell (1 Mana; 9 Dice, 1 success per damage healed). He may choose to heal Aggravated, but the spell is then Vulgar.
- “Healing Heart,” Life •••, allows Sariel to heal others of Bashing or Lethal damage as a covert spell (1 Mana; 9 Dice, 1 success per damage healed).
- Once per month, Sariel casts an extended “Body Control,” Life ••. He distributes the bonuses to gain +8 initiative; heal 3 Bashing / turn; and both poison and fatigue take 8 x normal to effect him. NOTE: The above stats for Body Control assume the houserule of distributing successes, as written, he heals any Bashing that does not wrap around to Lethal instantly and has immunity to fatigue, poison, disease, and suffocation.
Background: Mark Dornet was raised as a God-fearing young man, and his Awakening in a family-owned mortuary only served to reinforce certain beliefs about Hell and damnation. As an Adamantine Arrow and a follower of the Lead Coin, he is committed to serve those around him with fierce devotion and stands as the Fist of the cabal. While he does not respect most of the Elect for their “loose” beliefs, he does believe in Sister Jehoel, hoping one day that she will return the love he holds hidden in his heart.
Brother Sariel’s fanaticism makes him a dogged interrogator, and he is not afraid to uncloak his nimbus for maximum effect. He is especially angered by injustice; other cabals have sometimes taken advantage of this to elicit his help against Sleepers. Brother Sariel interrogates them, passes along what he’s learned and then takes the heat if the Consilium objects to his treatment of mundanes.
Storytelling Hints: Mark is the youngest of the cabal in both age and worldly experience. He wears his heart on his sleeve, much as he doesn’t want to. He is most similar in temperament to “A,” though he’ll fervently deny it.
Given his nimbus and attitude, it would be easy to assume that he is an Obrimos, and he takes advantage of this assumption in combat. Even those that know his path are surprised by his skill with the apparently opposed Life Arcanum.