The Shadow Network
Jessica Sorel "Sister Jehoel"
Quote: “There is a light within you. One must simply cut away the impurities to find it.”
Description: Sister Jehoel dresses simply in loose fitting, nondescript clothing; her thick blond hair defying all attempts to contain it. Whenever she leaves the sanctum she always wears a light white sweater that zips up the front and hangs down to her knees. The sweater has been enhanced by Brother Sariel’s magic and, in contrast to his black clothing, the two look like the two sides of death when accompanying each other.
Her nimbus is a wreath of roiling flame and shadow, manifesting as a hot wind accompanied by an increase in static electricity. This becomes unbearable when she casts vulgar magic.
Dedicated Magical Tool: A small gold knife, inscribed with angelic script
Real Name: Jessica Sorel
Order: Adamantine Arrow
Mental Attributes: Intelligence 4, Wits 3, Resolve 5
Physical Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 3, Stamina 5
Social Attributes: Presence 4, Manipulation 2, Composure 3
Mental Skills: Crafts (Alchemy) 4, Investigation 3, Occult 3, Science (Chemistry) 4
Physical Skills: Athletics 2, Brawl (Blind Fighting) 3, Stealth 1
Social Skills: Animal Ken 1, Empathy 3, Expression 3, Persuasion 4
Merits: Eidetic Memory, Fast Reflexes 2, Fighting Style: Grappling 3, High Speech, Language (Latin), Library (Alchemy) 2, Library (Occult) 1, Meditative Mind 2, Sanctum (Shared) 2
Base Paradox: 2 Dice
Spell Limit: 6/1
Spell Tolerance: 5/1
Arcana: Fate 2, Forces 3, Life 1, Prime 3
Rotes: Fate – Quantum Flux (•), The Perfect Moment (••); Forces – Read Matrices (•), Unseen Shield (••), Control Electricity (•••); Life – Cleanse the Body (•); Prime – Supernal Vision (•), Magic Shield (••), Celestial Fire (•••) Mana/per turn: 12/3
Armor: 3/0 + 3 (Enhanced light sweater and “Unseen Shield,” Forces ••)
Magic Shield: 3 (Prime ••)
Maintained Spells: 1 – Combined Magic Shield (Prime ••, Potency 7) and Unseen Shield (Forces ••, Potency 7)
- Celestial Fire 9 + 0B; 30/60/120; Targets gain defense, may change target factors
- Brawl 6 + 0B
- The light sweater Sister Jehoel wears has been enhanced with Brother Sariel’s “Alter Inegrity,” Matter ••• (Potency 9). The spell also affects his long-coat and if dispelled in either breaks the enchantment on both.
- Fighting-Style: Grappling 3 grants her the following benefits: opponents in a grapple cannot Drop Prone or Take Cover; with a normal grapple, she may render an opponent prone and deal Bashing equal to successes rolled; overpowering maneuvers deal an additional +1(L).
- Sister Jehoel often uses an improvised Forces • + Life • (6 Dice) spell that makes her immune to blindness due to bright light. She often takes a -2 penalty to also affect Brother Sariel with this spell, a simple success causes it to last for a scene.
- In conjunction with the above spell, she uses an improvised Forces ••• “flashbang” that draws an arc of nearby electricity out and vastly amplifies the sound and light of the effect. If the effect is used as an attack, it suffers the victim’s defense, as “Influence Electricity,” Forces •• (MtA p.165). Even if the attack misses however, it causes all victims in a 5-yard radius to suffer the Blinded and Deafened Tilts for 10 – (Stamina + Resolve) turns. Those affected may make a Stamina + Composure roll to avoid the tilts altogether, suffering a penalty equal to the successes gained on the casting roll. This is a vulgar spell, but any sleepers blinded by it do not count as witnesses for the purpose of paradox.
- The combined magical protections last for 3 weeks and take Sister Jehoel approximately 11 hours to cast.
Background: Jessica Sorel grew up near Los Alamos, New Mexico, under the tutelage of New Age parents. She Awoke after visiting the site of the first atomic test at Jornada del Muerto, where she received a vision of the Watchtower of the Golden Key inside the first atomic blast. Temporarily blinded by what she’d seen, she wandered away from the site in a daze. There, she was found and trained by Adamantine Arrow mages, along with Mark Darnet (now Brother Sariel).
The Guardians of the Veil procured the services of Sister Jehoel’s cabal as part of the Guardians’ quest for the lost Athenaeum. Sister Jehoel’s cabal was used as “cannon fodder” when the Seers attacked. Her life and that of Brother Sariel were spared through the actions of the mystagogue known as Longshanks.
Feeling indebted to Longshanks, Sister Jehoel saved his life from a Mysterium assassin. She joined with him and “B” when they formed the Elect.
Now, she struggles to match the clean power of what she saw in her initial vision with the impurities of the human soul. Much like the alchemists of old, she hopes to find a way to transfigure humanity into a bolder, brighter form.
Storytelling Hints: Sister Jehoel is usually withdrawn, watching people and, if speaking, asking them about their flaws in intimate detail. This behavior changes if she’s paired with Brother Sariel on a mission. Then, she’s in control and moves with a righteousness that burns from within her.